Council’s next regular meeting is scheduled for Monday, March 9th at 7:00p.m. at the Municipal Building. Significant items include:
- Resolution awarding a contract to Wright Contracting, Inc for the replacement of windows at the water treatment plant – $150K
- Resolution awarding a contract to S&W Contracting Co, Inc for the installation of a traffic signal on the Oak Ridge Turnpike at the Oak Ridge High School – $177K
- Zoning Ordinance amendments allowing for mixed use within the commercial core of the city
- Ordinance amendment to fiscal 2015 budget appropriations to eliminate the Solid Waste Fund appropriation and integrate it into the General Fund
- Final adoption of an ordinance amending the zoning ordinance map by changing the zoning district of a 2.58 acre parcel on laboratory road from B-3 Roadside Business to B-2 General Business
Last night, council held its February work session (delayed due to the weather). We discussed, among other things, the scheduling of the Special Meeting for establishing the parameters of the investigation into the ORPD morale, policy and turnover issues discussed in February. Members Callison and Hensley were not present. Mayor Gooch and Mayor Pro Tem Smith argued that council did not agree to having a special meeting and instead thought it wise to address the issues on March 9th. I conceded only on the condition that the selection of the investigating body or person not be made during the March 9th meeting nor until council and the public are provided all recommendations in advance. No member objected. Therefore, the posted agenda will be modified to reflect this addition prior to the meeting.
Though I am not always able to respond to every communication, I welcome your questions and feedback. Feel free to share these updates with anyone who may be interested in staying abreast of city issues.